Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Refractions


Makoto Fujimura was appointed by President Bush in 2003 to the National Council on The Arts.  He is a visual artist who works with light, prism and minerals to create refractions of art. After reading refractions, I am fully convinced of Fujimura’s ability as an artist and am certain of his dedication to art.
This book was a remarkable look into a creative mind that longs to capture the attention of the world through art, and yet bring glory to God.
Every chapter (or essay) reads like a devotion.  I found myself repeatedly sharing pieces from each chapter with my husband because it was so rich and deep that I couldn’t keep it to myself.
refractions is an insightful and beautiful read.  The writing is outstanding and the thoughts he shares are inspiring and intelligent.  I loved reading this book.
Usually when I read a book and see references to other writings or resources I just ignore them, but after reading Chapter 5, I was drawn to my computer to hear the music of William Basinski’s Disintegration Loops.  Wow!  Again and again I was inspired to know more about the artists and ideas he conveyed.  He gave insight and depth to art and faith that I would have naively passed over.
I loved Chapter Three about Bert’s Disappearing Weather Maps.  I laughed and learned simultaneously.
On page 96 he writes ” The Greek word in the New Testament for “believe” is pisteuo, which suggests belief not as a sheer intellectual exercise of having “blind faith” or to imagine and will us into irrational faith but belief as a relational axis of trust.  Good acting and good art moves one to a place of trust. What inspires us, after all is not being force-fed to believe in belief itself but to be moved to desire belief and expose our deep need for trust in each other.”
Fujimura is a powerful writer who eloquently conveys how to have an eternal impact on our world through faith displayed in art.  He is gentle with his Christian beliefs and doors are opened up to him because of it. 
pray that many artists would read this book and capture a vision for the potential they could have to truly impact our world for Christ in the subtle, but heartfelt actions of creativity.  I am thankful for the opportunity to read and learn from his beautiful example of faith and art in action.
You can read more about this exceptional book at http://www.navpress.com/product/9781600063015/Refractions-Makoto-Fujimura
It can be purchased for $19.99 and I highly recommend it.
* I was given this product free to review on behalf of NavPress, December 2009 

No comments:

Post a Comment